SwissRidge Training Philosophy
At SwissRidge Kennels, we strive to breed beautiful, healthy, gentle dogs.But good breeding only goes so far: dogs also need to be raised correctly.
A well-mannered dog is a pleasure to own and welcome wherever you go. We want to give our clients the tools they need to raise good dogs—dog that listen and obey. That’s why we send every dog home with basic training information, provide even more advice in Bernedoodles: A Head to Tail Guide, and offer training programs and services.
Dog training is a big subject, but here are a few essential rules for getting started with your ’doodle (or any pup!):
- Start obedience training early and keep it up—for life;
- Figure out what motivates the dog, whether it’s praise, treats or play;
- Keep sessions short, positive and fun;
- Be consistent and persistent; and
- Ask for help when you need it.
Address any problems early, before they become entrenched. Call a trainer and get back on track. It will preserve your relationship with your dog.
We know that raising a well-trained dog is hard work, and that people are leading busy, stress-filled lives with many competing demands. Some may believe owning a dog isn’t in the cards for them because they don’t have time, energy or skill to get a puppy to the point where it is that perfectly behaved companion. Yet having a dog around—a good dog—enhances one’s quality of life. Research shows that owning a dog can reduce stress and improve health.
If the prospect of starting from scratch with puppy training is too daunting, we can help.
When SwissRidge clients began asking for training support at all levels, resident expert trainer, Lucas Mucha responded by developing a variety of packages designed to suit your needs. These are becoming so popular that we’ve hired some excellent people to assist in some areas.
- If you need a head start in the early days, leave your puppy for an extra month with one of SwissRidge’s three incredibly patient trainers as part of our popular Imprinting Program.
- If you need one-on-one lessons, Lucas is available in person, or by phone.
- If you need more intensive assistance, bring us your dog—and return to a model of obedience!
Every situation is different, so our services are flexible. Some dogs will start from scratch; some will have the basics covered and need help to reach advanced obedience; and some will have a specific issue to address. Whatever training issues you face, Lucas can help.